how to dress like a parisian

by - 21:38


All images taken off Tumblr since I have never been to Paris :(

While I was never a French fanatic (although I did take 1 year of French in middle school...), I've recently became infatuated with Parisian style. If there was one word to describe my wardrobe, it would be transformation. I used to be a total tomboy when I was in elementary school; camouflage pants and military-green T-shirts were my staples. Coasting into middle school, I relied on my extensive collection of tank tops (I believe I had one in every color) and hoodies from Aeropostale, Abercrombie, and the likes. It wasn't until high school when I started to take fashion seriously, but like any amateur, I made many mistakes. Some days I would just throw on leggings and a hoodie (but to be fair, I never wore sweatpants to school. Never.).

My style has definitely become more feminine than when I was a kid, but I still don't own a lot of color in my closet mostly because I always found comfort in neutrals and toned-down colors. I definitely have a more distinctive and mature look now and recently realized how similar it was to Parisian fashion. After reading several books on the topic (Parisian Chic: A Style Guide and How to be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits), here is my updated take on how to dress like a Parisian.

I own this book as well. Recommend if you're a huge Alexa Chung fan!

Things to Remember:

  • No bling, no glitter, no shimmer. Don't draw attention to yourself by flashing too much.
  • Always mix and match your basics!! Never wear the whole set.
  • There is no need for high-end brands (a couple is fine, but the whole wardrobe? Save your money!). Affordable clothing is ideal.
  • Quality over quantity.
  • Style tight tops with loose bottoms and vice versa.

THE ESSENTIALS

  1. Blazers - be it a boyfriend blazer, classic black, or gray; the blazer adds sophistication to any outfit. For a more modern twist, I suggest getting a glen plaid one as well! (I bought mine from Zara.) Depending on how you dress, these are great for multiple occasions.
    • Style tips: roll up sleeves, pair with jeans or trousers, and wear it with a white shirt
  2. Trench Coat - the beige trench coat is the most classic look there is. While I personally don't own one (much too thin for Chicago weather), I have a camel overcoat and long knit cardigans instead.
    • Style tips: roll up sleeves, pair with jeans or a dress
  3. Navy Sweater - navy is a beautiful color and has been joining my monochrome closet. I personally have a knit sweater in every neutral color: black, white, gray, beige, and navy. Burgundy is a good addition, too.
    • Style tips: looks great with white, black jeans, black leather jacket
  4. Tank Top - rather than the plain cotton tank top that used to be popular, for a more elegant look, I've been buying chiffon tank tops in white and black instead. A great substitution and easy to pair with anything. When buying tanks, stick to neutrals to mix and match.
    • Style tips: shorts, jeans, skirt, blazer, trousers
  5. Black Dress - I never was a huge fan of dresses, but I still need some for a certain occasion, right? It's no surprise that almost all of my dresses are black.
    • Style tips: reminder that a little black dress will exude sexiness, elegance, and simplicity all at once. Don't overwhelm it.
  6. Jeans - any style and any color. Find the best cut for you and get multiple in black and various shades of denim. As a huge fan of jeans, I always say, the more the merrier.
    • Style tips: own at least one black and one in a navy-washed denim
  7. Leather Jacket - need I say more? The perfect addition to any outfit. I tend to stick to black since it never goes out of style. Still in the search for the perfect one, though!!
    • Style tips: wear under an overcoat in the winter for extra warmth and extra chicness

THE SHOES

  1. Flats - simple and easy to wear on a day out.
  2. Black Stilettos - everyone needs at least one for a special night.
  3. Ankle Boots - my favorite autumn/winter piece. Whether it be Chelsea boots or platforms, these add an extra chic factor in your outfit.
  4. Penny Loafers - leather ones are in trend, and I'm still trying to get my hands on one. I know slip-ons are more popular because of Gucci, but I'm more into the loafer style since it looks professional and put-together.
  5. Knee-High Boots - these were everywhere this winter and look super cute paired up with a skirt and blazer.

THE ACCESSORIES

  1. Tote Bag - big enough to carry everything you need! I still use minimalistic canvas tote bags.
  2. Clutch - lightweight and perfect when you don't want to carry too much.
  3. Mini Backpacks/Satchels - these look great for a casual outing.
  4. Handbag - the boxy, sturdy, everyday-use handbag. Every girl has one. For me, it's my plain black kate spade crossbody.
  5. Statement Earrings - always need a fancy one to glam it up. 
  6. Minimalistic Bracelets - one thing I love about French jewelry is how minimalistic it is.
  7. Man's Watch - Daniel Wellington is a good buy!

 

Now you must be wondering, where can I get these items? Here is a list of brands (they all have online websites!) that can aid you toward that Parisian wardrobe. Some of the physical stores may only be available in Paris.

Brands:
  • Soeur
  • Vanessa Bruno
  • A.P.C.
  • Isabel Marant
  • Maje
  • Sandro
  • Ba&sh
  • H&M
  • Zara
  • Eric Bompard
  • Swildens
  • Journal Standard de Luxe
  • dinh van
  • 58m
  • upla
  • le bon marche
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Topshop
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Abercrombie
  • American Apparel
    • I know a bunch of American Apparel stores closed down in the USA, but their basics are great buys.

I will present lookbooks of my "Parisian Chic" style next time.
Thanks for reading!!


You May Also Like

0 comments